I love a good crockpot recipe - set it up and forget about it! Plus, I love tacos (who doesn't). So when I figured out this recipe, it instantly became one that I repeat every few weeks. In honor of Cinco de Mayo, I want to share it with you!
- 4 lb pork butt (shoulder) — bone-in or boneless; this is forgiving
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Black pepper to taste (or red pepper flakes if you prefer a kick)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 16 oz jar of your choice of salsa
- Hard shells or soft tortillas
- Shredded cheese of your choice (I like queso fresco but cheddar also works)
- Any other toppings you want (lettuce, shredded cabbage, salsa, etc)
Avocado Lime Crema:
- 1 Avocado
- 1oz of lime juice
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 8oz sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
Start by mixing all of the spices (chili powder, spiced paprika, cumin, salt, cinnamon, pepper) and minced garlic together in a small bowl. Coat the pork shoulder in the spice mixture and place in your crock pot. Pour the jar of salsa around the pork shoulder. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5 hours. Try not to crack the lid during the cooking time as it breaks the seal created by the crock pot (my fiance loves breaking this rule).
Once done, the meat will shred apart very easily.
You can scoop the pulled pork right into your tacos, add toppings and enjoy! If you'd like a delicious avocado lime crema sauce though - whip up this super easy one:
Remove the stems from the cilantro and break open your avocado. Add all the ingredients to your blender (I use a magic bullet for this) and blend until smooth. That easy!